Notice for Prisoners, Residents and Visitors
Maintaining contact with family and friends is important to everyone in HMP Dovegate. It is important that visits are carried out in a respectful manner and therefore ask that prisoners and visitors adhere to the following rules:
- NO ITEMS may be given to prisoners or received from prisoner whilst in the visits area
- Only food and beverages purchased from the visits café may be consumed in the hall. No external food/beverages may be brought in from outside unless it is a special dietary requirement.
- Prisoners and Visitors will not behave in a threatening, abusive or disrespectful manner.
- If you appear under the influence of alcohol or any illicit substance you may be offered a closed visit or denied entry to the visits hall.
- Children must be supervised by the person who has brought them to the visit including when playing in the children’s play areas. Children must remain at the allocated table or play area and must not walk / run around the hall.
- Each visit will be allocated a table. Prisoners and visitors will remain at that table and not wonder around the hall, unless the visitor wishes to purchase refreshments from the cafe area.
- Prisoners and Visitors will comply with instructions from staff and leave quickly and quietly when asked to do so. At the end of the visit, visitors are to remain seated until the prisoner that they are visiting has left the hall.
- Please be respectful to the next visitors and clear your table of any rubbish using the bins provided.
- Baby milk and food must be in a sealed bottle / carton.
- Baby blankets are only permitted for children under 12 months.
- Nappies and baby wipes are provided.
- You may greet the prisoner with a kiss and a kiss goodbye but must be done in a manner that is not offensive to others. Physical contact is not permitted throughout the visit, except for holding hands.
- Hands must be visible at all times.
- You may bring £20 in coins only per table (not per person).
For decency purposes:
- Ponchos, scarfs and blankets must be left in the outside bungalow.
- All visitors wearing trousers will be asked to turn out their pockets if the pockets are removed or have holes in them the visitor will be asked to either go back to the visits bungalow and change or offered a closed visit.
- No metal hair clips or grips to be worn.
- No pins / badges.
- For decency purposes ladies bras / camisoles are not to be worn as an external top. Dresses / tops MUST NOT be strapless.
- Ladies tops must not be see through and must cover both the breast and midriff area. In addition, cleavage must be appropriately covered so as not to offend.
- Skirts and shorts must be of knee length.
- Only 1 pair of trousers to be worn.
- No ripped jeans as from August 1 2018.
- No football shirts to be worn in the hall.
- Any clothing displaying inappropriate or offensive patterns / logos will not be permitted (for example cannabis leaves, racist logos, gang tags, or offensive language).
- Sunglasses, hats and scarves are not permitted (with the exception of headwear worn for religious purposes).
- Shoes / boots must not have steel toecaps or have sharp accessories (e.g. spikes)
- No bikes clothing.
Violations of any of these rules may lead to the visit being terminated and a restriction on future visits.
Prisoners are reminded that they may be charged under the Prison Rules; and visitors are reminded that some violations may be an offence under the Prisons Act 1952.
Our aim at Dovegate is to provide a safe, secure and respectful environment for all prisoners, visitors and staff.
Thank you for your cooperation